Thursday, November 26, 2015

Iconoclast Groundlessness of Disbelief

I was challenged by my friend Ryan Via Facebook to post 7 great songs in 7 days and nominate a new person every day to do the same. Today I chose the song I Like You Less Than Apple Pie by ICONOCLAST from the Groundlessness of Disbelief 7". This song is from Ebullition #8 and the following mini-bio is from: http://www.ebullition.com/catalog8.html Iconoclast was the only band on Ebullition that was ever released because of a demo that was received in the mail. The Iconoclast demo sounded a lot like Rorschach. It was very impressive and it warranted a release on Ebullition. When they recorded these 4 songs their sound had developed into something much more complex and unique. Even better than their great demo. A classic early '90s hardcore record from a band that existed side by side with East Coast legends like Rorschach, Born Against, Merel and Current. This 7" will not be repressed. Once it is sold out then it will be gone forever. (Don't Even Try, Fool, that shit has been long sold out). What significance does this song hold for me your brainless, narcissistic-ass is probably not inquiring? The lyrics, which are very clearly understandable if listened to, are simple, heart felt, and easy to relate to. In the early nineties when Mr. McClard in his infinite wisdom chose to release this e.p. his intention was to reach those that were like-minded and I like to believe he was successful. More so than anything what this record signifies for me is a bond with three other men, Timothy James Roybal, Nick Paul, and Shaun Herrera, aka Perseverance from Pueblo Colorado. Those 3 men, along with Rich Amnesty, opened my eyes to a whole different perspective of Hardcore. We felt it and we felt it deeply and truly. If you ever had a chance to see it, you know, and fuck every last asshole that has anything different to say. It set me on a more more thoughtful, and unfortunately, at times, elitist POV, In a way paving the way for the music snob I have become. Rock was so full of a disgusting wankery that this early, "Emo Hardcore," "Sceamo" to some, rendered impotent. It wasn't that these bands possessed the genius of Randy Rhodes or Eddy Van Halen, nothing close to that. It was the fact that they did it with unparalleled emotion. Sure, Eddy could hammer-on for miles, but that will never equal the emotional impact 90's Hardcore had on me and my peers. I make no apologies. I am Hardcore, for life. If you have opposition to that stance than most likely I will like you less... You can listen to the song here:
https://youtu.be/erjCm4CGFbc

No comments: